Gas Compliance Certificates
What is a Gas Compliance Certificate?
A Gas Certificate of conformity is needed to ensure that the gas installation is safe, up to standard and leak-free.
Regulation 17(3) of the Pressure Equipment Regulations, as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1993, states that a Gas Certificate of Conformity must be issued when there is a transfer of ownership for a property. This came into effect in October 2009.
In order for a certificate to be issued, the gas installation has to comply with the SABS Regulations for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) installations (SANS 10087–1, as amended).
This includes all built-in:
- Gas fireplaces or braais
- Gas stoves
- Gas geysers or hot water systems
How long is a Gas Compliance Certificate valid for?
A new certificate is required for every transfer, however a new certificate should be issued with your yearly installation maintanace.
How it works:
- A qualified and registered gas installer will come to your property in Cape Town to do the inspection.
- If the gas installation is compliant with regulations we will issue your certificate at no additional cost to the inspection fee.
- If the installation does not meet the regulation standards we will quote you on any necessary repairs.
- If you accept the quotation we will arrange an appointment for the repairs to be done.
- A Bugs & Sparks gas repair team will efficiently attend to the repairs.
- Once the repairs have been completed we will issue your Electrical Compliance Certificate at no additional cost.
Gas installation compliance checklist:
- No gas leaks.
- No more than 9kg LPG is allowed inside a flat, 19kg LPG inside a house or 100kg LPG outside a free standing property.
- All rubber components must be replaced every 5 years.
- All regulators must be replaced every 10 years.
- Correctly selected fittings must be used.
- There must be no electrical connections behind the hob and oven.
- Each appliance needs to have an isolation valve and must be approved by the SABS.
- The hose must not exceed 2m in length and cannot pass through a solid partition.
- The cylinder must be on a firm base (not on sand) and must be:
- 1m away from a door, open window or boundary wall
- 5m from an electrical point above the valve
- 2m from drains or air-conditioning inlets
- 3m away from a window below
- 5m away from an electrical point below the valve
- A gas geyser must be 1.4m from the ground surface and 1m away from the valve.
What isn’t covered by a Gas Compliance Certificate?
- All appliances e.g. ovens, stoves, instant water heaters, fireplaces, space heaters, etc.
- All portable gas braais or gas heaters, which do not need a gas certifcate of conformity.
Do you need a Gas Compliance Certificate in Cape Town? Get in touch with us.