Gas Compliance Certificates

Do you need a Gas Compliance Certificate in Cape Town? Get in touch with us.

What is a Gas Compliance Certificate?

A Gas Certificate of conformity is needed to ensure that the gas installation is safe, up to standard and leak-free.

Regulation 17(3) of the Pressure Equipment Regulations, as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1993, states that a Gas Certificate of Conformity must be issued when there is a transfer of ownership for a property. This came into effect in October 2009.

In order for a certificate to be issued, the gas installation has to comply with the SABS Regulations for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) installations (SANS 10087–1, as amended).

This includes all built-in:

    • Gas fireplaces or braais
    • Gas stoves
    • Gas geysers or hot water systems

How long is a Gas Compliance Certificate valid for?

A new certificate is required for every transfer, however a new certificate should be issued with your yearly installation maintenance.

How it works:

    1. A qualified and registered gas installer will come to your property in Cape Town to do the inspection.
    2. If the gas installation is compliant with regulations we will issue your certificate at no additional cost to the inspection fee.
    3. If the installation does not meet the regulation standards we will quote you on any necessary repairs.
    4. If you accept the quotation we will arrange an appointment for the repairs to be done.
    5. A Bugs & Sparks gas repair team will efficiently attend to the repairs.
    6. Once the repairs have been completed we will issue your Gas Compliance Certificate at no additional cost.

Gas installation compliance checklist:

    • No gas leaks.
    • No more than 9kg LPG is allowed inside a flat, 19kg LPG inside a house or 100kg LPG outside a free standing property.
    • All rubber components must be replaced every 5 years.
    • All regulators must be replaced every 10 years.
    • Correctly selected fittings must be used.
    • There must be no electrical connections behind the hob and oven.
    • Each appliance needs to have an isolation valve and must be approved by the SABS.
    • The hose must not exceed 2m in length and cannot pass through a solid partition.
    • The cylinder must be on a firm base (not on sand) and must be:
      • 1m away from a door, open window or boundary wall
      • 5m from an electrical point above the valve
      • 2m from drains or air-conditioning inlets
      • 3m away from a window below
      • 5m away from an electrical point below the valve
      • A gas geyser must be 1.4m from the ground surface and 1m away from the valve.

What isn’t covered by a Gas Compliance Certificate?

    • All appliances e.g. ovens, stoves, instant water heaters, fireplaces, space heaters, etc.
    • All portable gas braais or gas heaters, which do not need a gas certificate of conformity.