When you sell your house, flat or building you’ll need to produce a range of compliance certificates, required by law, before the sale can go through.

One of these certificates is the electrical certificate of compliance.

What does a valid electrical certificate of compliance cover?

This certificate is to verify that your property’s electrical installations are up to standard and in line with the regulations laid out by the South African National Standards.

It is a universally accepted certification that the property is electrically safe and secure.

It covers:

–         Distribution boards

–         Wiring

–         Conduits

–         Earthing and bonding of all metal components (including your satellite and TV antenna)

–         Wall socket

–         Light switches

–         Isolators of fixed appliances such as stoves, geysers, fans etc. (but not the appliances condition themselves)

What if I don’t have a valid Electrical Certificate of Compliance (ECOC)?

Short answer – get one soon. The consequences reach far and wide:

1.      You won’t be able to complete the sale. By law you are not permitted to sell a house that does not have electrical certification.

2.      An uncertified house could have a lot of nasty surprises popping up along the way, such as faulty electrical wiring, leaking pipes or gas leaks.

3.      A lot of time and money is wasted when corners are cut, because at the end of the day you’ll be forced to go back and ensure your house is electrically compliant.

4.      Your insurance might not cover a claim on an uncertified house, which will cost you greatly.

When do I need an ECOC?

An ECOC needs to be provided whenever a property changes ownership. The good news is this certificate is valid for two years.

But remember, if you have made any electrical alterations, additions or installations within those 2 years, you will need to reapply for electrical certification or have a supplementary certificate issued on that work done.

In other words, a new ECOC is not required if the current ECOC is not older than two years and if no changes were made to the electrical installation of the property during that time.

How Do I Get an ECOC?

You will need to call in an accredited, professional electrician, licensed by the Department of Labour, to test and inspect your electrical installation.

It’s possible that the electrician will request maintenance work to be done on your property before he issues the ECOC. This could include anything from fixing some wiring to changing plugs.

For a one-stop-shop for all your electrical certification and maintenance needs, get in touch with Bugs & Sparks. We strive to offer our clients the very best service and quality of workmanship possible.

There is never any inspection or repair job too big or too small.